West Virginia Insurance CE

Browse our West Virginia Courses

Continuing Education That Is:


Same-day processing

Study at your own pace

Unlimited free exam retakes


Low prices + High quality

No hidden or recurring fees

Unlimited CE memberships


100% state approved

Meets NAIC standards

Expert, friendly staff

Are you an approved provider of CE in West Virginia?

Yes. Our West Virginia state approval number is: 13051.

How long will it take to have my credits processed?

Most students will have their credits processed the same day on which we receive their signed affidavit, issued upon completion of their final exam. If an affidavit is received outside of our normal business hours, these credits will be processed on the morning of the next business day. Once your credits have been successfully filed, you will receive a notification email that also contains your Certificate of Completion.

Do I need a proctor during my exam?

West Virginia insurance continuing education requires an impartial third-party proctor be present during your final exam. The proctor cannot be a friend, relative or co-worker of the licensee, nor anyone with a financial interest in the exam result.

What are the requirements for my course's final exam?

Self-study final exams are closed book. Licensees may not refer to the course material while the exam is in progress.

The final exam must be passed with a score of 70 percent or higher to receive credit. Students have unlimited attempts to pass the exam.

Are there filing fees in West Virginia?

A roster fee of $1.40 per credit is required to process course credits in this state. This fee will be added to your order total during checkout and is then sent by us to the state upon completion.

Are there time limits on my course or exam?

No. You may spend as much time with the course material as you feel necessary, and you may come and go from that material as often as you like. There is no time limit on our exams, however all exams must be completed within one sitting. Once started, if an exam is abandoned for any reason you will need to begin that exam from the beginning when you next return.

Do take special note that every course has an expiration date, which is based on both the state approval and your website purchase date. In order to receive credit you must complete the course before that expiration date.

What are the resident CE requirements in West Virginia?


24 CE hours*, including 3 hours of ethics, are required every 2-year license term.

*See Special Training/Education Requirements below.

Limited Lines

Producers who sell only pre-need burial insurance contracts or who engage solely in telemarketing insurance products using a scripted presentation that has been filed with and approved by the Insurance Commissioner must complete 6 CE hours, including 3 hours of ethics.


Special Training/Education Requirements

Annuity Training Requirements

  • Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating annuity products in West Virginia producers must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours.

Long-Term Care (LTC) Insurance

  • Initial 8-hour LTC training Requirement: Before selling, soliciting or negotiating LTC insurance products in West Virginia producers must complete a one-time state-approved training course of no less than 8 hours.

  • Ongoing 4-hour LTC training Requirement: A 4-hour state-approved follow-up course must be completed every 2-year licensing period after the period in which initial training was completed. LTC training courses count toward the producer’s 24-hour CE requirement.

Flood Insurance

  • Resident producers who sell federal flood insurance policies must complete a one-time 3-hour course approved for National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). 
What are the non-resident CE requirements in West Virginia?

Special Training/Education Requirements

Annuity Training Requirements

  • Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating annuity products in West Virginia producers must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours.  *Nonresidents who satisfy the training requirements of another state that are similar to West Virginia's law will be deemed compliant for West Virginia's requirement. 

Long-Term Care (LTC) Insurance

  • Nonresident producers may take an 8 hour NAIC course approved for use in any licensed state.
When do I need to have my CE completed?

The license expiration date is the last day of the producer's birth month every two years.  To view the birth month conversion chart click here

*Effective Immediately: The CE compliance period is every two years ending on the license expiration date.  To view the notice regarding the continuing education biennium change click here

  • Producers licensed on or before June 30, 2011: He/She was required to be in compliance by the June 30, 2012 CE compliance date.  The producer will not be required to be in compliance by the expiration date currently on his/her license.  The continuing education compliance end date will be at the second renewal after the end of the June 30, 2012 biennium.  For example, if the producers first active date is 7/28/2008 and their first renewal expiration date is 1/31/2013, then their first CE compliance date will be 1/31/2015.
  • Producers licensed on or after July 1, 2011: He/She is required to be in compliance with CE by the expiration date currently listed on the license.
May I re-take a course for credit that I have already completed successfully?

A course may not be taken for credit more than once within a 2-year license term.

Is there a CE carryover allowance in West Virginia?

Up to 6 hours may be carried over to the next reporting period for those who must complete more than 6 hours of CE during a reporting period. West Virginia does not allow for the carry-over of Ethics or Long-Term Care credits. These credits will be carried over as general credits.

Are there any CE exemptions in West Virginia?

The following individuals are exempt from CE requirements:

  • Individuals licensed only for limited lines credit
  • Individuals holding limited lines licenses for which an exam is not required
  • Adjusters
  • Nonresident producers
How may I contact the state of West Virginia?
West Virginia Offices of the Insurance Commissioner
Phone: 304-558-0610
Fax: 304-558-4966
Email: Agent.Licensing@wvinsurance.gov

Mailing Address:  
West Virginia Offices of the Insurance Commissioner
Agents Licensing & Education
P.O. Box 50540
Charleston, WV 25305
Sircon Contact Information:
Phone: 877-876-4430
Fax: 404-656-0874
Web site: www.sircon.com
Prometric Contact Information:
Phone: 800-805-9127
Fax: 800.735.7977
Email: Pro.ce-services@prometric.com
Browse our West Virginia Courses

Disclaimer: InsuranceStudy provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to continuing education (CE) as insurance producers, agents, adjusters and/or brokers. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither InsuranceStudy nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice. We encourage you to contact the relevant licensing body and/or your carrier to find the most up-to-date and personally relevant requirements.