Washington DC Insurance CE

Browse our Washington DC Courses

Are you an approved provider of CE in Washington DC?

Yes. Our Washington DC state approval number is: 1166.

How long will it take to have my credits processed?

Most students will have their credits processed the same day on which we receive their signed affidavit, issued upon completion of their final exam. If an affidavit is received outside of our normal business hours, these credits will be processed on the morning of the next business day. Once your credits have been successfully filed, you will receive a notification email that also contains your Certificate of Completion.

Do I need a proctor during my exam?

Washington DC insurance continuing education requires an impartial third-party proctor be present during your final exam. The proctor cannot be a friend, relative or co-worker of the licensee, nor anyone with a financial interest in the exam result.

What are the requirements for my course's final exam?

Self-study final exams are closed book. Licensees may not refer to the course material while the exam is in progress.

The final exam must be passed with a score of 70 percent or higher to receive credit. Students have unlimited attempts to pass the exam.

Are there filing fees in Washington DC?

A roster fee of $1.00 per credit is required to process course credits in this state. This fee will be added to your order total during checkout and is then sent by us to the state upon completion.

Are there time limits on my course or exam?

No. You may spend as much time with the course material as you feel necessary, and you may come and go from that material as often as you like. There is no time limit on our exams, however all exams must be completed within one sitting. Once started, if an exam is abandoned for any reason you will need to begin that exam from the beginning when you next return.

Do take special note that every course has an expiration date, which is based on both the state approval and your website purchase date. In order to receive credit you must complete the course before that expiration date.

What are the resident CE requirements in Washington DC?

Producers: 24 hours, including 3 hours of ethics, every 2-year license term.

CE Course Restrictions: Producers must complete 3 hours in approved ethics courses. All other hours may be completed by taking courses approved only for the line of authority licensed for.  For L/H and P/C combined licenses, producers are required to complete at least 6 hours in each line of authority.


Special Training Education Requirements
Annuity Suitability Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating annuity products in the District of Columbia, producers must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours. 
Flood All District of Columbia property and casualty producers must complete a one-time 3-hour course approved for flood training during the first 2-year license term. 
What are the non-resident CE requirements in Washington DC?

Nonresident licensed producers are to meet CE requirements in their home state.


Special Training/Education Requirements

Annuity Training Requirement

Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating annuity products in the District of Columbia, producers must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours. 

Note: Nonresidents who satisfy the training requirements of another state that are similar to the District of Columbia's law will be deemed compliant for the District of Columbia's requirement.  

When do I need to have my CE completed?

The license term is every 2 years, based on the last day of the producer’s birth month.

May I re-take a course for credit that I have already completed successfully?

A course may not be taken for credit more than once within a 2-year license term.

Is there a CE carryover allowance in Washington DC?

Excess CE hours are not allowed to be carried forward to the next 2-year license term.

Are there any CE exemptions in Washington DC?

Nonresident producers are not required to complete the District of Columbia CE requirements as long as the producer is in good standing with his or her home state.

How may I contact the state of Washington DC?
District of Columbia Department of Insurance, Securities, and Banking
Phone: 202-727-8000
Fax: 202-535-1196
Email: disb@dc.gov
Web site: disb.dc.gov
Mailing Address:
810 First Street, NE, Suite 701
Washington, DC 20002
State-Based Systems (SBS):
Phone: 816-783-8990
Email: help@naic.org
Here are some additional links that we believe you may find helpful:
Browse our Washington DC Courses

Disclaimer: InsuranceStudy provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to continuing education (CE) as insurance producers, agents, adjusters and/or brokers. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither InsuranceStudy nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice. We encourage you to contact the relevant licensing body and/or your carrier to find the most up-to-date and personally relevant requirements.