Maryland Insurance CE

Browse our Maryland Courses

Are you an approved provider of CE in Maryland?

Yes. Our Maryland state approval number is: 208000.

How long will it take to have my credits processed?

Most students will have their credits processed the same day on which they complete their final exam. If a course is completed outside of our normal business hours, these credits will be processed on the morning of the next business day. Once your credits have been successfully filed, you will receive a notification email that also contains your Certificate of Completion.

Do I need a proctor during my exam?

No. Self-study final exams do not require a monitor.

What are the requirements for my course's final exam?

Self-study final exams are closed book. Licensees may not refer to the course material while the exam is in progress.

The final exam must be passed with a score of 70 percent or higher to receive credit. Students have unlimited attempts to pass the exam.

Are there filing fees in Maryland?

A roster fee of $1.15 per credit is required to process course credits in this state. This fee will be added to your order total during checkout and is then sent by us to the state upon completion.

Are there time limits on my course or exam?

No. You may spend as much time with the course material as you feel necessary, and you may come and go from that material as often as you like. There is no time limit on our exams, however all exams must be completed within one sitting. Once started, if an exam is abandoned for any reason you will need to begin that exam from the beginning when you next return.

Do take special note that every course has an expiration date, which is based on both the state approval and your website purchase date. In order to receive credit you must complete the course before that expiration date.

What are the resident CE requirements in Maryland?

24 CE hours*, including 3 hours of ethics, are required every 2-year license term.

Licensees must take CE courses that pertain to the lines of insurance that they hold on their producer license(s). Please refer to the Continuing Education Requirements Grid.

*Except as set forth in regulation, a licensee shall successfully complete in each renewal period at least 24 hours of CEs.


Special Training/Education Requirements

Flood 2 hours in course designated for credit type "Flood" as part of P/C hours
Bail Bonds 4 hours in course designated for credit type "Bail Bond" as part of P/C hours
Long Term Care 2 hours in course designated for credit type "Long Term Care" as part of L/H hours
Long Term Care
8-hour initial Long Term Care Partnership course followed by 4-hour refresher Long Term Care Partnership course every two years
Annuity 4-hour initial Annuity Suitability Course
What are the non-resident CE requirements in Maryland?

Maryland is reciprocal with all states for the major lines of authority (L/H/VUL/P/C). This means that non-resident producers are not required to complete the Maryland CE requirements as long as the producer has met the continuing education requirements for his or her home state. If the home state does not have a CE requirement, the producer must complete the CE requirements for Maryland.

For other lines such as Title and Public Adjuster, Maryland is NOT reciprocal with all states. Non-residents who hold these lines/licenses are required to completed Maryland CE.

Special Training/Education Requirements: Nonresidents who satisfy the training requirements of another state that are similar to Maryland's law will be deemed compliant for Maryland’s requirement. 

When do I need to have my CE completed?

The license term is every 2 years ending on the last day of the producer's birth month.  Please note that continuing education must be completed and posted to the licensee's transcript prior to the licensee’s expiration date. It is strongly recommended that CEs be comleted 30 days before expiration to allow ample time for the credits to be updated.

May I re-take a course for credit that I have already completed successfully?

A course may not be taken for credit more than once within the same license term. If a course is repeated in two consecutive license terms, there must be at least 6 months between the course completion dates to receive credit.

Is there a CE carryover allowance in Maryland?

Excess CE hours may not be carried forward to the next 2-year license term.

Are there any CE exemptions in Maryland?
  • If prior to October 1, 2008 a resident licensee has been consecutively licensed for 25 or more years their continuing education requirement is 8 hours
  • If your turned 70 prior to April 30, 2013
  • Individuals authorized to sell only HMO coverage, travel insurance, and credit insurance
  • Maryland attorneys who hold a producer license to sell title insurance and are in good standing with the Maryland Court of Appeals
  • Nonresident producers who have met the continuing education requirements of their home state
  • Limited lines licenses do not require CEs

Licensees with reduced or waived CE hours must contact the Administration to verify qualifications. There are no new qualifiers.

How may I contact the state of Maryland?
Maryland Insurance Administration
Phone: 800-492-6116
Fax: 410-468-2000
Mailing Address:
200 St. Paul Place, Suite 2700
Baltimore, MD 21202
Phone: 800-324-4592
Fax: 800-735-7977
Web site:
Browse our Maryland Courses

Disclaimer: InsuranceStudy provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to continuing education (CE) as insurance producers, agents, adjusters and/or brokers. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither InsuranceStudy nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice. We encourage you to contact the relevant licensing body and/or your carrier to find the most up-to-date and personally relevant requirements.