Colorado Insurance CE

Browse our Colorado Courses

Continuing Education That Is:


Same-day processing

Study at your own pace

Unlimited free exam retakes


Low prices + High quality

No hidden or recurring fees

Unlimited CE memberships


100% state approved

Meets NAIC standards

Expert, friendly staff

Are you an approved provider of CE in Colorado?

Yes. Our Colorado state approval number is: 50141.

How long will it take to have my credits processed?

Most students will have their credits processed the same day on which they complete their final exam. If a course is completed outside of our normal business hours, these credits will be processed on the morning of the next business day. Once your credits have been successfully filed, you will receive a notification email that also contains your Certificate of Completion.

Do I need a proctor during my exam?

The Colorado Department of Insurance has waived their normal proctor requirement, until further notice. A proctor is no longer required. You will instead need to electronically sign an Affidavit of Personal Responsibility, and that affidavit will be completed online as part of your final exam.

What are the requirements for my course's final exam?

Self-study final exams are closed book. Licensees may not refer to the course material while the exam is in progress.

The final exam must be passed with a score of 70 percent or higher to receive credit. Students have unlimited attempts to pass the exam.

Are there filing fees in Colorado?

No. There are no processing fees in this state.

Are there time limits on my course or exam?

No. You may spend as much time with the course material as you feel necessary, and you may come and go from that material as often as you like. There is no time limit on our exams, however all exams must be completed within one sitting. Once started, if an exam is abandoned for any reason you will need to begin that exam from the beginning when you next return.

Do take special note that every course has an expiration date, which is based on both the state approval and your website purchase date. In order to receive credit you must complete the course before that expiration date.

What are the resident CE requirements in Colorado?


24 CE hours*, including 3 hours of ethics, are required every 2-year license term. At least eighteen (18) of the twenty-four (24) credit hours shall be in approved courses for the type of license for which the producer is licensed.

*See Special Training/Education Requirements below.


Special Training/Education Requirements

Annuity Training

  • Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating annuity products in Colorado producers must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours.  

Long-Term Care (LTC)

  • Initial 16-hour training requirement: Before selling LTC policies in Colorado producers must complete 16 hours of state approved LTC training.  Part 1 of the 16 hours shall consist of 8 hours on general LTC, which can be taken online self study or in a classroom, and Part 2 shall consist of 8 hours specific to LTC partnership, which must be taken in a classroom.

  • Ongoing 5-hour training requirement: After completing the initial 16-hour training, producers continuing to sell LTC must complete no less than 5 hours of ongoing training in a classroom setting every 2 calendar years after the initial completion.

Flood Insurance

  • All Colorado resident property and casualty or personal lines producers who sell flood insurance are required to complete a one-time 3-hour course approved for National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) training.


  • All Colorado resident producers engaged in the sale, consultation, or adjustment of claims-made policies must complete a one-time 2-hour state approved course on claims-made policies.  

Homeowners Insurance Coverage

  • Effective January 1, 2014: All Colorado producers licensed to sell property or personal lines insurance must complete three (3) hours of continuing education on homeowner's (HO) insurance coverage each license term. 
What are the non-resident CE requirements in Colorado?

Nonresident insurance producers must be licensed and in good standing in their home state, must satisfy their home state CE requirements, and must pay a biennial continuation fee to the Colorado Division of Insurance.  Producers planning to sell the following products have special training or education requirements as described below:


Special Training/Education Requirements

Annuity Training Requirement

  • Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating annuity products in Colorado producers must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours.  *Nonresidents who satisfy the training requirements of another state that are similar to Colorado's law will be deemed compliant for Colorado's requirement. 

  • The satisfaction of these training requirements in any state shall be deemed to satisfy the training requirements in this state.

Long-Term Care (LTC)

  • Check with your carrier to determine if an 8 hour NAIC Partnership course from another state will suffice for the two 8 hour courses mentioned above. An 8-hour Partnership class from one of the original four Partnership states will not suffice.

When do I need to have my CE completed?

Continuing education requirements must be met every two years on the last day of the licensee's birth month. Even birth years renew every even year. Odd birth years renew every odd year.

May I re-take a course for credit that I have already completed successfully?

A producer who successfully completes an approved course may not repeat the course within a two (2) year period and count it toward the required hours, except for courses dealing with statutory updates.

Is there a CE carryover allowance in Colorado?

Producers may accumulate no more than twelve (12) carryover credit hours during the one hundred twenty (120) days before the licensing continuation date, which may be applied to the next continuing education period.

Are there any CE exemptions in Colorado?

The following exemptions apply to these CE requirements:

  • First-time producers have until their second continuation cycle to comply.
  • Producers licensed to write only one or more of the following are exempt:
    • Travel ticket selling
    • Bail bonding
    • Title
    • Limited lines credit
    • Crop hail 
How may I contact the state of Colorado?
Colorado Division of Insurance
Phone: 303-894-7499 / (800) 930-3745
Fax: 303-894-7455
Mailing Address:
Colorado Division of Insurance
1560 Broadway, Suite 850
Denver, CO 80202
Sircon Contact Information:
Phone: 877-876-4430
Fax: 404-656-0874
Web site:
Here are some additional links that we believe you may find helpful:
Browse our Colorado Courses

Disclaimer: InsuranceStudy provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to continuing education (CE) as insurance producers, agents, adjusters and/or brokers. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither InsuranceStudy nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice. We encourage you to contact the relevant licensing body and/or your carrier to find the most up-to-date and personally relevant requirements.