Alabama Insurance CE

Browse our Alabama Courses

Are you an approved provider of CE in Alabama?

Yes. Our Alabama state approval number is: 2300129.

How long will it take to have my credits processed?

Most students will have their credits processed the same day on which we receive their signed affidavit, issued upon completion of their final exam. If an affidavit is received outside of our normal business hours, these credits will be processed on the morning of the next business day. Once your credits have been successfully filed, you will receive a notification email that also contains your Certificate of Completion.

Do I need a proctor during my exam?

Alabama insurance continuing education requires an impartial third-party proctor be present during your final exam. The proctor cannot be a friend, relative or co-worker of the licensee, nor anyone with a financial interest in the exam result. This rule had been temporarily waived due to COVID-19 during the past year, but as of 7/1/21 that waiver period has now ended.

What are the requirements for my course's final exam?

Self-study final exams are closed book. Licensees may not refer to the course material while the exam is in progress.

The final exam must be passed with a score of 70 percent or higher to receive credit. Students have unlimited attempts to pass the exam.

Are there filing fees in Alabama?

A roster fee of $1.00 per credit is required to process course credits in this state. This fee will be added to your order total during checkout and is then sent by us to the state upon completion.

Are there time limits on my course or exam?

No. You may spend as much time with the course material as you feel necessary, and you may come and go from that material as often as you like. There is no time limit on our exams, however all exams must be completed within one sitting. Once started, if an exam is abandoned for any reason you will need to begin that exam from the beginning when you next return.

Do take special note that every course has an expiration date, which is based on both the state approval and your website purchase date. In order to receive credit you must complete the course before that expiration date.

What are the resident CE requirements in Alabama?

24 hours (of which 3 should be ethics) per reporting period for producers

12 hours (of which 2 should be ethics) per reporting period for service representatives or producers who are employed by another producer or insurer to work only in the office of the employer and who are not licensed as a non-resident in any other state.

To complete your general CE requirements, you may take any approved course without regard to the type of license you hold.


Special Training/Education Requirements

Flood 3-hour initial course on flood insurance and the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
Long Term Care 8-hour initial course with credit type "Long Term Care" followed by 4-hour refresher course with credit type "Long Term Care" every 24 months
Annuity 4-hour initial Annuity Suitability Course
What are the non-resident CE requirements in Alabama?

A non-resident who has satisfied his/her home state's continuing education requirement is exempt.

When do I need to have my CE completed?

The license term is biennial based on Month and Year of birth. Agents born in an odd year will have their license renew during odd years at the end of their birth month. Agents born in even years will have their license renew during even years at the end of their birth month. 

Example: An agent born February 15, 1968 will renew on February 28, 2022 and again on February 29, 2024.


May I re-take a course for credit that I have already completed successfully?

Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in a any reporting period.

Is there a CE carryover allowance in Alabama?

Excess credit hours earned in the previous biennial renewal period cannot be carried over to the next reporting period. (effective 2013)

Are there any CE exemptions in Alabama?

The following are exempt from Alabama CE requirements:

  • Non-residents of reciprocal states who have met the home state's CE requirements.
  • Any producer whose license is limited to acting only as a producer for credit insurance, rental vehicle insurance, crop, portable electronic, travel, motor club, dental services, and legal services, or any combination thereof.
  • Newly licensed producers, service representatives, adjusters or title insurance agents licensed within 12 months of the renewal date.

Note: Producers who are exempt from CE will still be required to complete LTC training.  The Federal Law will not allow exemptions for LTC. 

How may I contact the state of Alabama?

Alabama Department of Insurance
Phone: (334) 269-3550
Fax: (334) 241-4192
Web site:

Mailing Address (Regular Mail)
Alabama Department of Insurance
P.O. Box 303351
Montgomery, AL 36130-3351

Browse our Alabama Courses

Disclaimer: InsuranceStudy provides this information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to continuing education (CE) as insurance producers, agents, adjusters and/or brokers. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither InsuranceStudy nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice. We encourage you to contact the relevant licensing body and/or your carrier to find the most up-to-date and personally relevant requirements.